Persuasive Essay: Topic and Audience Worksheet
If you did not take UNV 104 or if you would like to review the writing concepts introduced in UNV 104, it is suggested that you view a media piece entitled, “The Writing Process,” which is available to support the development of your writing skills. For this Topic, focus on the “Planning and Getting Started?” section of the media piece.
Part 1: Select a Topic
Choose a topic for your persuasive essay from the list below. If you would like to write about a topic that is not on the list, please list it below within your answer to the first question to request approval.
· Stem cell research
· Prison reform
· Health Insurance/Healthcare Reform
· Social Media and the Workplace
· Internet Censorship
· Use of Title I funds
· Compensation for College Athletes
· Net Neutrality
· Global Warming
· Genetically modified food
· Charter schools
· Nuclear Energy
· Renewable Energy
· Standardized Testing
1) What is the topic you have chosen for your persuasive essay?
2) Begin thinking about the different issues associated with the topic you have selected, narrow your focus, and take a pro or con position for the subject of your essay. Present a simple statement of your position here. Example statement: Same-sex marriage should be legalized.
3) Give rationale for that stance. (50-100 words. Avoid using emotional reasoning and focus on facts and evidence to help support you rationale)?
Section II: Identify your Audience
Review the media piece before beginning this section: http://lc.gcumedia.com/phi105/persuasive-writing-website/persuasive-writing-website-v1.1.html
Answer the following questions regarding the audience for your essay in complete sentences.
1) Who do you intend to persuade with your essay (Audience) and why (avoid naming instructor, friends, family peers and colleagues?
2) What is the appropriate way to address this audience (professional, familial, friendly)? Why?
3) What about your topic is important to your audience? What about your topic is not important to your audience?