Read the scenario on p, 283 of Positive Psychology.
• Imagine that you are visiting a friend who lives on the 20th floor of an old, downtown apartment building. It’s the middle of the night when you are suddenly awakened from a deep sleep by the sound of screams and the choking smell of smoke. You reach over to the nightstand and turn on the light. You are shocked to find the room filling fast with thick clouds of smoke. You run to the door and reach for the handle. You pull back in pain as the intense heat of the knob scalds you violently. Grabbing a blanket off the bed and using it as protection, you manage to turn the handle and open the door. Almost immediately, a huge wave of flame and smoke pours into the room, knocking you back and literally off your feet. There is no way to leave the room. It is getting very hard to breathe and the heat from the flames is almost unbearable. Panicked, you scramble to the only window in the room and try to open it. As you struggle, you realize that the old window is virtually painted shut around all the edges. It doesn’t budge. Your eyes are barely open now, filled with tears from the smoke. You try calling for help but the air to form the words is not here. You drop to the floor hoping to escape the rising smoke, but it is too late. The room is filled top to bottom with thick fumes and nearly entirely in flames. With your heart pounding, it suddenly hits you, as time seems to stand still, that you are literally moments away from dying. The inevitable unknown that was always waiting for you has finally arrived. Out of breath and weak, you shut your eyes and wait for the end.
Write a 1,050- to 1,400-word paper including the following:
• Describe in detail the thoughts and emotions you felt while imagining the scenario.
• If you did experience this event, how do you think you would handle the final moments?
• If you did experience this event, how would you describe your life up to this point.
• In what ways can traumatic events be opportunities for growth?
Format your paper consistent with APA guidelines.
This assignment is due in Week Five.
60 Percent Points Earned
• Describes in detail the thoughts and emotions felt while imagining the scenario.
• The student explains how he or she thinks he or she would handle the final moments.
• The student explains how he or she would describe his or her life up to this point.
• Explains ways traumatic events be opportunities for growth. Comments:
Organization and Development
20 Percent Points Earned
• The paper is 1,050 to 1,400 words in length.
• The paper is clear and organized; major points are supported by details, examples, or analysis.
• The tone aligns with the assignment’s purpose and is geared toward the appropriate audience.
• The paper provides relevant and sufficient background on the topic.
• The paper is logical, flows, and reviews the major points. Comments:
Mechanics and Format
20 Percent Points Earned
• The assignment file is presentable and functional.
• Rules of grammar, usage, and punctuation are followed; spelling is correct.
• The paper—including the title page, reference page, tables, and any appendices—is consistent with APA guidelines. Comments: