By successfully completing this assignment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Competency 1: Describe the historical development of the humanities from the pre-historic era to the present.
- Describe the influence of philosophical reasoning on the development of modern science.
- Competency 2: Examine the forms of expression that instantiate the arts and humanities.
- Distinguish intrinsic from instrumental goods in human thought.
- Explain the use of scientific reason in an effort to control the natural world.
- Competency 3: Integrate the humanities with everyday life.
- Assess the role of philosophy and science in contemporary life.
- Competency 4: Communicate effectively in forms appropriate to the humanities.
- Write coherently to support a central idea in appropriate format with correct grammar, usage, and mechanics.
Write an essay in which you express and defend your views on these issues:
- Consider the rise of modern science during the 17th and 18th centuries. How did Enlightenment philosophers both defend and contribute to this cultural development? In particular, how did elements of scientific reasoning alter conceptions of the origin and limits of human knowledge?
- Explain the difference between intrinsic and instrumental goods and how modern science embodies an instrumental approach to the relationship between human beings and the natural world. Is recognition of our proper place in the context of a vast and ancient universe an essential insight? How does it affect our understanding of ourselves?
- Consider how philosophical and scientific reasoning make a difference to our daily lives. (Of course we all benefit from technological advances that came from these ways of thinking, but that is not the point here.) In what situations or circumstances of ordinary life is it appropriate to apply philosophical or scientific thinking to seek a solution, resolve a conflict, or make a decision?
- Suppose you were invited to contribute a post to a blog about philosophy, like those that appear in The New York Times‘s “The Stone,” “What Is it Like to Be a Woman in Philosophy?” from WordPress, or Philosophy Now magazine. How would you argue for (or against) the use of philosophical reasoning in everyday life?
Refer to the Philosophy and Science Scoring Guide to ensure that you meet the grading criteria for this assignment.
You are required to submit your assignment to the Turnitin source matching tool.
Note: Your instructor may also use the Writing Feedback Tool to provide feedback on your writing. In the tool, click the linked resources for helpful writing information.
- Written communication: Written communication should be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: Your paper should be formatted according to APA (6th edition) style and formatting.
- Length: 4–6 typed and double-spaced pages.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.