My assignment is on the pros and why you should spank your children…. My teacher wants hard evidence instead of bias opinions. I need this done ASAP.. Please and thank you. English 101 | Writing Assignment 4 | The Persuasive Essay
Length: 3-5 pages, not including works cited page
Format: MLA, Times New Roman, 12pt, double-spaced.
What is a Persuasive Essay? A Persuasive Essay is a paper that makes an argument.
Read: The best way to understand a Persuasive Essay is to read one—or two. First, read Chapter 11 (pp.332-351) in St Martin’s Guide as well as Chapter 13, (pp.366-382). Pay careful attention to any examples. You’ll need to cite sources and include a works cited page with this essay, so bookmark pp. 438-465 for your reference.
Write: A persuasive essay without using the first person “I” or the second person “you.” Make sure you use appeals to logos, pathos and ethos and follow a structure (like the Monroe’s Motivated Sequence, Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs, problem/solution, comparative advantage, problem/no solution, problem/cause/solution…etc.). I will look for a clearly stated claim as well arguments backed up cited sources. Make sure to conclude with an invitation or call to action.
What I’m Looking for:
- Purpose – Do you clearly state your intent to influence behavior or action?
- Audience – Are your writing for those strongly for, opposed, on the fence, or a mixed bag of all of these?
- Stance – You have to pick a side, or argue the neutral position by comparing pros/cons.
- Appeals to Logos, Pathos, Ethos – Your essay must include appeals to all of these.
- Persuasive Structure – Don’t just inform me, convince me. Use confident language.
- Grammar & Mechanics – Is your paper devoid of errors that impede readability?
- Use of research – Do you correctly cite a minimum of 3 sources and include a correctly formatted works cited page?