Examine three (3) differences between DNA and RNA then explain two (2) main reasons why DNA is the most favorable molecule for genetic material. Next suggest how RNA compares to DNA in regards to genetic material.
1. BIOLOGY DISCUSSION QUESTION
Week 4 Discussion
“DNA and RNA, Genes, Mutations, and Gene Therapies”
Note: Online students, please respond to one (1) of the following four (4) bulleted items.
· Examine three (3) differences between DNA and RNA then explain two (2) main reasons why DNA is the most favorable molecule for genetic material. Next suggest how RNA compares to DNA in regards to genetic material.
· Go to The Guardian website and read the article titled “Mind-control device lets people alter genes in mice through power of thought” found here. Next discuss three (3) main points of the article you found most significant then explain two (2) ways the article you read relates to this week’s lesson. Provide examples of this relation with your response.
· Mutations are the original source of genetic variation. Explain how mutations can be either beneficial or harmful then provide an example for each. Next identify a disease, which is caused by a mutation, and then describe the biological basis of your chosen disease. In your response be sure to note the exact disease causing mutation.
· Briefly describe the biology behind DNA-based Vaccines and Gene Therapy. Next suggest what you believe are the major similarities and differences between these two (2) therapies. Which do you believe is the best option? Justify your response.
2. WORD CULTURES DISCUSSION
Week 4 Discussion
“Beethoven; Art and Protest in the 1800s” Please respond to one (1) of the following, using sources under the Explore heading as the basis of your response:
· Listen to one (1) composition (i.e., for a symphony) by Beethoven, a transitional figure between classical and romantic music. Identify the composition that you listened to, and determine whether you would characterize the chosen composition as either the Classical or Romantic style of music. Explain the key features that lead you to your conclusion. Identify one (1) modern musician who you believe was great at one type of music yet pioneered another.
· Select one (1) example of a literary work or a work of visual art from the 1800s—either Romantic or Realist in style—that responds in some way to the Industrial Revolution. Identify the work and the artist or writer, describe its features and style, and explain the manner in which it responds to the Industrial Revolution. Identify one (1) specific literary or artistic work of our day that effectively protests a social injustice.
· Chapter 27 (pp. 907-914), Beethoven, qualities of the Romantic style in music (classical style was on pp. 826-832); review Week 4 “Music Folder”
· The Beethoven-Haus Website at http://www.beethoven-haus-bonn.de/sixcms/detail.php?template=portal_en (Note: Click on Digital Archives > Works by Ludwig von Beethoven; then find one  of his symphonies and listen to a clip.)
· Beethoven’s Eroica at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drxcjTbDsts
Art Reacting to the Industrial Revolution
· Chapter 28 ( 920-944), art and literature in Industrial Revolution
· The Museum of Fine Art in Ghent, Belgium (MSK Gent) – Romantic and Realist Art of the 1800s at http://www.mskgent.be/en/collection/1820-romanticism-and-realism/romanticism-and-realism
· New York’s Metropolitan Museum of Art – French Realist Art of the 1800s at http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/rlsm/hd_rlsm.htm