Select an article about a genetically modified organism and write a summary of the article’s content in response to a set of questions.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
· Competency 3: Describe basic concepts of genetics.
· Describe the purpose of a gene that encodes for a specific protein.
· Competency 4: Explain the tools and applications of biotechnology.
· Evaluate the pros and cons of a genetically modified organism.
· Explain how microorganisms that normally affect the immune system can be used beneficially as tools in biotechnology.
· Competency 5: Evaluate the objectivity and legitimacy of biology information found in articles and online.
· Explain the main points presented in an article.
· Evaluate the scientific credibility of an article.
· Competency 7: Communicate effectively in a variety of formats.
· Write coherently to support a central idea in appropriate format with correct grammar, usage, and mechanics.
· Search the Capella library or the Internet for an article from a reputable source about a specific genetically modified organism, such as one of the following (you are welcome to choose topics outside of this list):
· Canola oil.
· Animal feed.
· Golden rice.
· Sugar beets.
· Growth hormones.
· Follicle stimulating hormone.
Read the article and write a summary of its contents. Address all of the following in your summary:
· What article did you read? Why did you choose this article?
· What are the main points presented in the article? What message is the author trying to communicate?
· What is gene of interest (being modified) and what is the purpose of this gene? Which organism is the gene inserted into, and what is the intended result of expressing this gene?
· How are microorganisms that normally affect the immune system, such as bacteria or viruses, used beneficially as tools in biotechnology?
· What are the pros and cons of this technology?
· What do other sources of information say about the same concepts presented in the article? Are there discrepancies between the information in the article and that from other sources?
· Where in your life (or in the life of a friend or family member) might the application of this form of biotechnology apply?
Your article should be from a reputable source and should meet all of the checklist items in the Source Evaluation Form. Complete an evaluation of your article, using the appropriate Source Evaluation Form (linked in the Resources under the Capella Resources heading). Download the form and answer the questions.
· Written communication: Written communication should be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
· APA formatting: References and citations should be formatted according to APA (6th edition) style and formatting.
· Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12-point.
· Format: Either submit both the bioengineering paper and the completed Source Evaluation Form, or write a paragraph in your paper addressing the questions from the form.
Thanks for installing the Bottom of every post plugin by Corey Salzano. Contact me if you need custom WordPress plugins or website design.Leave a reply →