Part 3: Writing
Today you will write a poem in response to the poems that you read and listened to. These are the three poems
- “For Women of Afghanistan,” by Sheema kalbasi
- “The Plight of the Afghan Women,” by Dr. Zieba Shorish-Shamley
- “Afghanistan Bleeds,” by Anonymous
Next, decide what kind of poem you want to write. It could be,
- a dialogue with the author of the poem
- you imagining yourself walking next to the poet and sharing her experiences
- a poem that promotes or celebrates human rights for all
- Is there some kind of central symbol that could help you express you meaning?
- What form best fits your meaning? What kind of rhythm works best? Do you want any lines to rhyme?
- What words best help you capture the feelings you want?
Write as many stanzas as you need to make your meaning clear.