Using E. Utilizing interdisciplinary approaches, predict how the chosen issue will or will not change in the future
In this course you will explore the role of culture in today’s world. It is important to recognize the value of developing culturally responsive practices and recognizing the benefits and challenges of diversity.
Issues of diversity have influence on many aspects of society, and how that is dealt with requires diverse knowledge and perspectives to investigate and change. Across many disciplines, the ability to investigate and then articulate a plan to inspire change is often necessary to achieve personal and professional goals. The purpose of this assessment is to examine the role of culture in society and how that impacts individuals through the development of a plan that addresses a local or global problem relating to issues in diversity.
This assessment addresses the following course outcomes:
- · ·
IDS-400-01: Analyze the relationships among culture, diversity, and self by investigating their influence on one’s discipline of study or chosen profession IDS-400-02: Integrate interdisciplinary approaches for determining how issues of diversity affect modern societies in both personal and professional contexts
IDS-400-03: Describe the cultural and social influences on the development of personal identity by employing appropriate research strategies IDS-400-04: Recommend strategies for overcoming obstacles in diversity to meet personal and professional goals
IDS-400-05: Articulate informed viewpoints on how to ensure cultural responsiveness in personal and professional contexts using effective communication skills
IDS-400-06: Assess the challenges of overcoming issues in diversity through the incorporation of diverse perspectives and viewpoints informed by relevant literature and peer experiences
course (sociology of diversity, biological diversity, cultural identity, diversity through socioeconomic status, etc.). In this presentation, you will explain the issue and how it pertains to culture, include problems in diversity and any applicable topics, and provide a plan of action for addressing this issue. This plan includes recommendations for improvements as well as strategies and a plan for implementing the recommendations. You will develop your plan as a multimedia presentation with an oral component. This oral component should be audio that accompanies a PowerPoint. You will be required to provide written speaker notes that correspond with your presentation.
assessment, you will choose a local or global issue that pertains to problems in diversity and one or more of the topics that has been addressed in this
Be sure to support your answers with appropriate evidence. You are encouraged to conduct interviews with individuals who are involved or affected by the issue you are addressing, but this is not required. Relevant and appropriate research is also acceptable.
Specifically, the following critical elements must be addressed. These are not in any particular order and can be constructed in your presentation in any configuration:
- Introduction: For this part of the assessment, you will examine the role of the individual in a global society and how issues of diversity influence aspects of culture and the individual. You will explore topics that have been discussed in this course (sociology of diversity, biological diversity, cultural identity, diversity through socioeconomic status, etc.) to help guide your analysis.
- Analyze how social practices have been shaped by issues of diversity in modern culture.
- Utilizing interdisciplinary approaches, explain how a topic discussed in the course has or has not influenced modern society.
- Analyze how issues of diversity have influenced social change. In other words, how have problems associated with diversity necessitated or
encouraged some sort of change in society?
- Analyze how issues of diversity have influenced the behaviors and operations of individuals in your discipline of study. In other words, look at the
influence of issues of diversity through the lens of your discipline.
- Utilizing interdisciplinary approaches, explain how issues of diversity and a topic discussed in the course have affected modern society. In other
words, how has modern society changed or been impacted by issues of diversity? How does the topic relate to issues of diversity?
- Using relevant research or diverse perspectives, assess the benefits and challenges of overcoming issues of diversity.
- Issue: For this part of the assessment, you will introduce the issue and how it relates to issues of diversity and any of the topics that have been discussed in the course.
i. What is the origin of the issue?
appropriate research strategies, describe a social or global issue that is related to issues of diversity. ii. What is the issue about?
i. Who is impacted by the issue?
appropriate research strategies, describe the target population of the issue. ii. What is important to know about them?
i. In other words, how can you connect the social or global issue you have chosen with a topic discussed in this course?
appropriate research strategies, explain how the chosen issue relates to a topic discussed in this course. ii. How does the topic inform your understanding of the issue?
E. Utilizing interdisciplinary approaches, predict how the chosen issue will or will not change in the future.
relevant research or diverse perspectives, assess how the chosen issue is impacting the target population.
III. Plan: For this part of the assessment you will offer recommendations and a plan to improve the issue, as well as strategies for implementing your plan.
- Make recommendations for how the current issue could be addressed so that it no longer adversely affects the target population.
- Explain the strategies that could be utilized to address the chosen issue.
- Imagine you are in charge of addressing your chosen issue. Utilizing interdisciplinary approaches, explain how you would implement your plan.
- Explain the benefits of your plan and justify why your plan would be preferable. Be sure to support your justification with relevant research or diverse perspectives.
- Presentation: For this part of your assessment, address these specific elements in the construction of your presentation. The length of this presentation (including all audio elements) should be 8-12 minutes.
- Construct your presentation in a way that ensures it is logically organized in order to convey your message to your audience.
- Provide supporting evidence in your presentation to articulate the importance of the chosen issue.
- Develop the audio elements to logically flow with your presentation and to articulate the importance of the chosen issue and the goals of your
- Did you emphasize key ideas in your speech?
- Does your speech logically flow with the accompanying presentation?