Select a company that has a manufacturing component to use as the basis for your analysis. You will be performing research to make a recommendation for an overseas manufacturing site for your chosen organization. If you choose the organization where you are currently employed, please keep in mind that the analyses you make must be based on facts that can be documented rather than your personal opinion as an employee.
The International Labour Organization (ILO) is an agency of the United Nations that creates and promotes international labor standards. The ILO convenes representatives of governments, employers, and workers to form international policies and programs promoting human rights and decent work for all. The ILO maintains an online database of international labor statistics. To use the database to prepare for this assessment, navigate the ILO, linked in the Resources, to complete the following:
- Under Statistics and Databases, click ILOSTAT-ILO database of labour statistics.
- Click on Country Profiles and select three countries of interest.
- Review the data presented for each of the selected countries.
- Create a table comparing the most recent data available for each of the selected countries.
- Examples of relevant data could include monthly earnings, labor force, employment/unemployment rates, working time, et cetera. This data is a starting point for your research, but do no feel limited to this site. You are welcome to conduct additional research as you see fit on additional topics such as corporate tax incentives, education rates, economic status, competition for labor, or the number of exiting manufacturing facilities in the area.
- It will be helpful for your recommendation to compare the data from the three selected countries to U.S. data.
- Incorporate your prepared tables of comparison into the assessment.
Based on your research of international labor statistics and the organization you selected, complete the following:
- Write a research paper that includes the following components:
- Briefly compare the data for the three countries you selected.
- Determine which country you would recommend for further investigation as a potential overseas manufacturing site for your selected company.
- Explain why you selected this country.
- Identify the types of additional information needed to make a final decision.
- Prepare a PowerPoint presentation that represents your findings from your analyses. Be sure to follow the formatting instructions listed below.
- Your submitted assessment should include a title page, introduction, body, conclusion, and reference page.
- Be sure you support your analyses with references to at least two resources.
- You should format this assessment as a research paper following APA 6th edition guidelines for both style and citing sources, making sure that you also use correct grammar and mechanics.
- There is no required minimum or maximum page length; however, you should strive to be as detailed as possible in addressing each bullet point, while also being as clear and concise as possible.
- Audience: Decision makers and members of management of your chosen organization.
- Length: 8–10 slides.
- Resources: Use APA guidelines in your PowerPoint presentation to cite and reference your sources. If you use a source in the text of a slide, you need to reference it on the slide. The last slide of your presentation should be your reference list.
- Elements: Introduction, Recommendations, Conclusion.
- Complexity: Do not get hung up on adding graphics, audio, or video. This should be a summary of findings and recommendations that highlights the key points of the information you gathered for your analyses.