The Reaction Paper Assignment
You will be writing a 1,000 word Reaction Paper in this course using the instructions and links found below. You will be completing the following 6 tasks and gathering the following information for your paper:
- Read the transcript of the epigenetics video from PBS (the video is no longer available for streaming). Begin your paper by defining epigenetics in your own words and discussing your reaction to the video.
- Interview your family members and complete the Family History-Dr. Oz.pdf. Find out which disease(s) you are most at risk for.
- Research and locate one article on epigenetics and whatever disease you are most at risk for (select a study on research conducted on humans) from a reputable academic source:
- journal articles
- government publications based on research
Do not use:
- magazines of any sort, whether they are on paper or online
- Websites of any type, including epigenetics websites
How to Perform Your Research
- Use the College Library in person or online (log in with your new MDC ID number (the one that is all numbers). Your password is the last four digits of that same MDC ID unless you have changed it.
Read the epigenetics article you find. Continue your paper with a discussion of the epigenetics article. Be sure to paraphrase (put things in your own words) and be sure to cite the author(s) of the article you find using APA style (see the section below on using APA style). Aim for about a page for this part of your paper.
- Discuss the concept of epigenesis in light of your family history and the article you read. Aim for one page for this section of your paper.
- Complete the Living to 100 Questionnaires. Integrate your findings on the questionnaire into your discussion. Aim for another page. (MY PREDICTED AGE WAS 88 YEARS OLD. I WILL PASTE BELOW THE FEEDBACK THE QUESTIONAIRE GAVE ME)
- Discuss how you can improve your health and longevity in light of your findings in this questionnaire, your understanding of epigenetics, and your knowledge of your family history. This should be your final page.
LIVING TO 100 RESULTS – Personal
+ 0.75 You noted that you manage your stress poorly. Do a significantly better job and you could add three quarters of a year to your life expectancy + 0.5 Cutting back on your hours at work, approaching, if you can, 40 or fewer hours, could add half a year to your longevity
+ 0.5 Minimizing or cutting out your caffeinated coffee consumption completely could provide you with about half a year more in life expectancy + 1.0 If it is ok with your doctor, taking an 81 mg aspirin every day improves your heart and brain health and could help you delay or escape a heart attack or stroke. It is best to take the aspirin every day rather than your occasional habit of taking aspirin. Taking an aspirin each day, perferably in the evening, could add another year to your life expectancy. + 1.0 There is a clear link between the inflammation of gum disease and heart disease. Do a good job of flossing daily and you could add a year to your life expectancy.
+ 1.0 The more you can get fast foods out of your diet the better. While you are already doing a pretty good job of doing so, completely removing fast oods from your diet could add a year to your life expectancy + 0.5 Cutting back sweets in your diet to 1-2 times per week or less could add half a year to your life expectancy
+ 1.0 Examining yourself for cancer could add a year to your life expectancy + 1.0 Decreasing your systolic blood pressure (the first of the two numbers) to 120 or even lower could add 1 year to your life expectancy + 1.5 Getting your blood pressure checked annually could add a year and a half to your life expectancy + 0.5 Getting your blood sugar checked could add half a year to your life expectancy
You can go over or under a page for any of the sections of the paper as long as your total paper is 1,000 words not counting the references.
General Rules for an “A” Paper (check your paper against this list)
◻ 1,000 words (do not exceed this limit by more than 100 words)
◻ Original work; similarity score of less than 10% (90% original work)
◻ Double-spaced, 12-point font, 1-inch margins
◻ Covers all 6 tasks (see above)
◻ Clearly label each task/section of your paper (e.g., Epigenetics Video, Family Interview, Epigenetics Article, Epigenesis, Living to 100, and Discussion)
◻ College-level grammar
◻ Spell checked
◻ No abstract, no cover
◻ Place your name and student ID on the first page. Use page numbers
◻ Cite your article APA style (author & year within body of paper; full reference at end)