New Voices Supporting Early Care and Education
On what specific data do these voices, new to the field of early childhood, anchor their arguments? What are some of their main arguments for supporting young children and families? In what ways do they articulate their support? What is the essence of their suggestions? This assignment is an opportunity to investigate these questions.
In preparation for the Discussion,
- Review all required resources, including the media segment and the U.S. Department of Education website
- For each resource, evaluate which main arguments are presented in favor of care and education policies for the early years.
- Choose one written resource that stimulates your professional curiosity more than the others, and that you want to analyze further.
Article: U.S. Chamber of Commerce, Institute for a Competitive Workforce. (2010). Why business should support early childhood education. Retrieved from https://www.uschamberfoundation.org/sites/default/files/publication/edu/ICW_EarlyChildhoodReport_2010.pdf
Why Businesses Should Support Early Childhood Education (2010). Institute for a Competitive Workforce, September 2010. Copyright U.S. Chamber of Commerce Institute for a Competitive Workforce. Used by permission.
Article: The RAND Corporation. (2008). What does economics tell us about early childhood policy? (Research Brief). Retrieved fromhttp://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/research_briefs/2008/RAND_RB9352.pdf
What Does Economics Tell Us About Early Childhood Policy? by the Rand Corporation. Reprinted by permissions of RAND Corporation via the Copyright Clearance Center.
Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2011). Issues and trends in the early childhood field: Economists, scientists, and politicians supporting the EC field. Baltimore, MD: Author.
Note: The approximate length of this media piece is 12 minutes.
Conversation with Dr. Cathy Grace (Director of Early Childhood Development, Children’s Defense Fund). Flie attached
After – A brief response to each of the following questions:
- Using the reading you selected and the media segment, evaluate in what specific way(s) commitment to the well-being of young children, families, or early childhood professionals is expressed in each of the two resources.
- How is respect for and commitment to the well-being of young children, families, and/or early childhood professionals expressed in the article and the media segment?
- How has your understanding of early childhood issues and trends deepened by considering the views of economists, neuroscientists, and politicians?
- APA style