Identify unique challenges to informed consent and confidentiality that arise when counselors are required to communicate with the courts or law enforcement (probation officers).
Court Involved Clients
Clients who are court ordered to seek treatment may present unique challenges when counselors are asked to communicate with the criminal justice system. Based upon the readings in this unit:
- Identify unique challenges to informed consent and confidentiality that arise when counselors are required to communicate with the courts or law enforcement (probation officers).
- Provide a specific example of a court mandated counseling referral you may encounter in a school or mental health setting.
Support your ideas with reference to the professional literature focusing on the articles included in this unit. Follow current APA style and formatting guidelines in your post.
Respond to the initial discussion posts of two other learners. What reactions do you have to the ideas the learner has presented? Include examples from your own experience to support your perspective, and raise questions to continue the dialogue.
This activity will help you achieve the following learning components:
- Identify steps to address issues when working with court-referred clients.
- Identify steps when working with an interdisciplinary team in identifying and addressing legal and ethical issues.
- Read about counseling responsibilities when working with clients/students involved with the legal system.
- Discussion Participation Scoring Guide.
- APA Style and Format.