Doing Business Overseas – Due April 18
Attention： No plagiarism tolerated
You recently have been hired as a junior manager in the corporate offices of a new fast growing hotel chain. Senior management is aggressively expanding overseas and you have been asked to report on the challenges and potential problems of opening a new hotel in a foreign city where English is not the first language. Pick a foreign city and follow the requirements discussed below.
The assignment requires you to prepare a written report which must be uploaded by the end of the day on April 18 via Turnitin. (over 20% is considered excessive copying and will lead to point deductions). No more than 5 pages excluding bibliography. Late papers will not be accepted.
The paper should be divided into the parts and labeled accordingly. The percentage of grade for each section is identified below.
- Explain in detail why people are attracted to the city. 5 %
- Political environment of city and country and how it would impact hotel 10 %
- Barriers to entry – legal and economic barriers to entry. Restrictions on foreign investment/need to use local partner 10 %
- Language and cultural issues which would impact construction, management and success of hotel 10 %
- Religious environment – How it impacts hotel 5 %
- Attitude towards women in the workforce and as guests; how it impacts the hotel 5 %
- Currency issues; conversion rates; ability to repatriate money 5 %
- Short term and long term economic environment 10%
- Competition for hotel in the city and how it impacts your recommendations 10 %
- Security and Safety 10 %
- Recommendation and Conclusion 10 %
- Bibliography 10%
Resources for Research
US Government sources
Export.gov (U.S. Department of Commerce)
US commercial service http://www.trade.gov/cs/ – Access the U.S. Commercial Service Market Research Library containing more than 100,000 industry and country-specific market reports, authored by our specialists working in overseas posts.
State department – Office of Commercial and Business Affairs
Usembassy.gov – embassies in specific countries
Foreign Country Sources
General web sites; Washington DC embassies, Consulate offices
US local business chambers of commerce in specific countries
International Banks, Law Firms and CPA Firms
For example: http://www.pwc.in/thewinningleap (future of India); KPMG – Doing Business in Russia
Articles in Hospitality magazines and public reports of large hotel chains – FIU Library Hospitality Database
Your Grade: Your grade will be based on thoroughness, sophistication of information as well as the style of writing.