For this assignment you will identify two individuals you can interview about his/her career history.
Multicultural Interview and Case Study
For this assignment you will identify two individuals you can interview about his/her career history. You will need the consent of the individual being interviewed, although no identifying information will be required in your report (i.e. name, address, etc.). You may select a fictitious name for the purpose of the assignment. The individual should be at least 21 years of age. You may find that an older interviewee has more career experience which will be relevant to the assignment. You should not select family members or close friends, so as not to be influenced by personal information gained from long-term relationships. The guidelines below can be used in conducting your interview. You may use selected guidelines from the list included below or use it in its entirety.
Background information you may want to gather:
- Educational and occupational background of parents
- Schools and colleges attended
- Academic performance history
- College experience, if any (i.e. adjustment)
- Current career field and/or desired career field (if different)
- Experience with “helping professionals” (i.e. counselors, therapist, teachers, etc.)
Questions you may consider asking:
- Do you believe your culture (i.e. gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, etc.) has impacted your employment or career? If so, in what ways?
- Would you ever limit yourself and your possibilities for employment out of fear of rejection or mistreatment?
- Have you ever sought help from a counselor? Was it a positive experience? Why or why not?
Collect other relevant information as you deem appropriate to complete the assignment.
After conducting your interview, in essay format, write a 5-7 page paper on your interviewee’s career development experiences. Apply a selected career development theory to your case and consider the utility of the theory for working with individuals from diverse backgrounds. Also offer suggestions to assist the individual with career related decisions and/or changes. It is appropriate to select a theory after conducting the interview.