Topic 2: Influence of Race and Ethnicity:
Media Analysis Worksheet
Locate and watch two pieces of media recorded in different decades (film or television) that show the same job, (e.g., a Police drama filmed in 1980, and Police drama filmed in 2010). Note the ethnicities portrayed in different careers/roles and answer the questions listed below. Include proper in-text citations for both media pieces as well as a reference note below as appropriate.
- What are the names of the shows/films observed and what year they were produced?
- What job was observed in the shows/films?
- Which show/film had more minority actors?
- Were minorities more likely to play primary or supportive roles? Is there a difference between the older and newer shows/films?
- Did you see the use of any stereotypes? Were stereotypes more apparent in the older or newer shows/films?
- Considering the ethnicities of the characters is there anything that is obviously different or missing when comparing the older and hewer show/film?
- Does it look like the media portrays the workplace in a way that reflects the diversity of the United States?
- Explain how film and television influenced your interest in specific careers.
- Based on your observations, does it look like minority children have enough positive role models in film and television? Explain why or why not.
- If you wanted minority children to have a greater number of positive role models in film and television how could you encourage the media to make any changes?
© 2016. Grand Canyon University. All Rights Reserved.