Week 5 Discussion
Cases: “Evaluating Non-traditional Incentive Systems” and “The Give Back: A Case of Union Busting”
For this Discussion:
- Read “Case: Evaluating Non-traditional Incentive Systems: Howe 2 Ski Stores” on pp. 202–204 of Nkomo, Fottler, and McAfee.
- Read “The Give Back: A Case of Union Busting” on p. 280 of Nkomo, Fottler, and McAfee.
- Choose one of the cases to analyze.
- Locate at least one external resource from the Walden Library or the Internet to help you in analyzing the case.
Post by Day 3, in paragraph form, your response (at least 200 words) to the three questions in the case. Use the case questions as the headings to inform your reader which question you are addressing.
Read a selection of your colleagues’ postings.
Respond by Day 6 to two or more of your colleagues who responded to a different case than you chose in one or more of the following ways:
- Ask a probing question.
- Share an insight from having read your colleague’s posting.
- Offer and support an opinion.
- Make a suggestion.
- Expand on your colleague’s posting.
Return to this Discussion in a few days to read the responses to your initial posting. Note what you learned and the insights you gained as a result of the comments your colleagues made.
Be sure to support your work with specific citations from the Learning Resources and any additional sources.
Week 5 Learning Resources
This page contains the Learning Resources for this week. Be sure to scroll down the page to see all of this week’s assigned Learning Resources.
- Mathis, R. L., Jackson, J. H., & Valentine, S. R. (2014). Human resource management(14th ed.). Stamford, CT: Cengage Learning [Vital Source e-reader].
- Chapter 11, “Total Rewards and Compensation” (pp. 366–405)
- Chapter 12, “Variable Pay and Executive Compensation” (pp. 406–439)
- Chapter 13, “Managing Employee Benefits” (pp. 440–469)
- Chapter 16, “Union/Management Relations” (pp. 558–595)
- Nkomo, S. M., Fottler, M. D., & McAfee, R. B. (2011). Human resource management applications: Cases, exercises, incidents, and skill builders(7th ed.). Mason, OH: South-Western Cengage Learning [Vital Source e-reader].
- Chapter 67, “Evaluating Non-traditional Incentive Systems: Howe 2 Ski Stores” (pp. 202–204)
- Chapter 99, “The Give Back: A Case of Union Busting” (p. 280