Discuss other ethical considerations such as the necessity to be competent in other aspects of psychology,
In the traditional field of psychology, clinicians are provided with methods and tools to handle ethical dilemmas at every turn. The American Psychological Association (APA) has set agreed-upon ethical standards to which all members are obligated to adhere. In the field of clinical psychology, tools such as clinical supervision and peer consultation are clearly outlined for mental health professionals.
However, in the field of operational psychology, the methods and tools are not so clear. Psychologists use APA ethical standards as strict guidelines for the practice of operational psychology, but scenarios in national security often present ethical dilemmas not found in mainstream psychology. This assignment allows you to contemplate what unique ethical considerations must be handled by operational psychologists, how they are prepared for them, and how they use APA ethical standards as a guide to address these challenges.
The ethical considerations of an operational psychologist extend beyond the realm of clinical psychology. The APA Presidential Task Force on Psychological Ethics and National Security (PENS) report details the ethical guidelines for psychologists with regard to operational psychology.
Using the module’s readings and the University online library resources, research the PENS report, Division 19 (the Military Psychology section) of the APA, and the ethical considerations and dilemmas of an operational psychologist. In a minimum of 300 words, respond to the following on the basis of your research:
- Summarize the key points from the PENS report and the primary objectives of Division 19.
- Discuss other ethical considerations such as the necessity to be competent in other aspects of psychology, including multicultural assessment, command consultation, and legal considerations, when no clear regulations exist.
- Explain some of the significant ethical considerations an operational psychologist will have to handle.
- Analyze how an operational psychologist would prepare ahead of time to handle challenges that are often in difficult areas and uncertain circumstances.
- Describe where operational psychologists would seek guidance or advice on such issues.
Grading Criteria Maximum Points
Quality of initial posting, including fulfillment of assignment instructions 16
Quality of responses to classmates 12
Frequency of responses to classmates 4
Reference to supporting readings and other materials 4
Language and grammar 4