Discuss how cultural and developmental factors are assessed and integrated into the diagnostic process.
Assignment 1: Discussion Assignment
In this module, you learned about assessment and diagnosis using the DSM-5. Understanding how to appropriately record a diagnosis and to use specifiers provides a dimensional diagnostic perspective while also allowing the client to participate in the diagnostic process. One of the most important factors related to diagnosing is being able to provide rationales for the diagnoses you assign. A good clinician can always provide the reasons why the client met the criteria for a specific diagnosis and determine the duration, onset, and severity of the condition. Cultural and developmental factors must also be assessed and considered when developing a client’s diagnosis.
Review the following resources:
- Biopsychosocial Assessment
- The vignette video presented on the right side of the screen
In a minimum of 200 words, post to the Discussion Area your responses to the following:
- Provide the best diagnoses for the client, formatted, coded, and reported correctly.
- Include the rationale, citing the diagnostic criteria that support the diagnoses chosen and what other information you would want to ask the client.
- Using the scores provided in the intake, download and print a copy of the Level-1 cross-cutting symptom measure (CCSM-1) and the World Health Organization Disability Assessment Schedule 2.0 (WHODAS 2.0) 36-item version, self-administered from the DSM-5 website. Insert the scores provided, score the assessments, and provide a discussion of the scores. In the discussion, include a brief synopsis of which Level-2 cross-cutting symptom measure (CCSM-2) would be used based on the results and the average general disability score on the World Health Organization Disability Assessment Schedule 2.0 (WHODAS 2.0).
- Discuss how cultural and developmental factors are assessed and integrated into the diagnostic process.
Support your rationale and analysis by using at least two resources from professional literature in your response. Professional literature may include the Argosy University online library resources; relevant textbooks; peer-reviewed journal articles; and websites created by professional organizations, agencies, or institutions (websites ending in .edu or .gov).