Discuss at least two reasons for the importance of these areas in using information technology in nursing and health care.
- Begin this paper with a brief paragraph that provides an overview of the assignment and its purpose. There is no separate heading for this paragraph; the heading for this paragraph is the same as the title of the paper. This paragraph will be about 2-3 sentences. The last sentence in this paragraph is a sentence that begins “The purpose of this paper is to ¨. This paragraph is worth 20 points.
‘These are the headings you should use for each section’’
- Importance of ethical, legal, and regulatory issues and information technology- 40 points
- Discuss at least two reasons for the importance of these areas in using information technology in nursing and health care. This section is 2 paragraphs.
- Ethical issues and using information systems in nursing – 40 points
- Discuss at least two ethical issues related to adopting and using information systems in nursing. This section is 2 paragraphs.
- Legislation and information systems – 40 points
- Describe the role of legislation in the regulation and adoption of information systems in nursing and health care. This section is 1-2 paragraphs.
- Impact of specific legislation – 40 points
- Explain the impact and implications of HIPAA and the Veterans Benefits Health Care and Information Technology Act on patient-care practices.This section is 1- 2 paragraphs.
- Summary – 20 points
- End the paper with a one-paragraph summary of the main points of the paper.
Proofread the paper as described in the tips for success in this course and correct any typos, grammar, spelling, punctuation, syntax, or APA format errors before submitting your paper in the Dropbox. Up to 40 points can be deducted from the grade for this assignment for these types of errors, or for not using at least the minimum number of required references.
Required textbooks for references you can use either books
- Course Text:Handbook of Informatics for Nurses and Healthcare Professionals
o Chapter 12, “Information Security and Confidentiality”
This chapter examines the factors that impact information security when using information management systems. It also discusses different types of security mechanisms.
o Chapter 19, “Legislation”
This chapter examines legislation affecting electronic healthcare information systems, including privacy legislation.
o Chapter 20, “Regulatory and Reimbursement Issues”
o Chapter 21, “Accreditation Issues for Information System Design and Use”
In these chapters, the regulation of health information technology is discussed, as well as the role of accreditation in health care.
- Course Text:Lewenson, S. B., & Truglio-Londrigan, M. (2015). Decision-making in nursing: Thoughtful approaches for practice. (2nd ed.). Burlington, MA: Jones and Bartlett Learning.
o Chapter 3, “Right or Wrong: Policy, Legal and Ethical Issues and Decision-Making”
Legal and ethical factors constantly affect clinical nursing practice. This chapter provides a detailed case study that describes how legal and ethical dynamics impact nursing.