Write a paper focusing on the following:
- Discuss 3 changes that were made from DSM-IV to DSM-5.
- Describe the role of DSM-5 in making a diagnosis. Why is it used?
- When conducting a clinical interview, what are some important questions you need to ask a client? Why?
- Discuss how you would make a diagnosis using DSM-5 if you were a counselor. How do you ensure that you do not misdiagnose your client?
A minimum of 2 APA-style references should be included. The text can be one of those references. One must be from a peer-reviewed journal, and one must be a reputable Web site (Wikipedia is not acceptable) or the course textbook.
Please submit your assignment.
For assistance with your assignment, please use your text, Web resources, and all course materials.
Barlow & Durand: Chapters 1 & 3
Finding CTU Psychology Library Resources
- Discuss the implications of labeling behaviors as normal or abnormal.
- Identify mental disorders and prevailing views of those disorders.
- Explore the implications of the many historical and contemporary approaches to addressing abnormal behavior.
For Unit 1 IP, consider changes that have been made from the DSM-IV to the DSM-5. Focus on Chapter 3, pp. 89-93 to explore these changes and how they affect diagnosis, both positively and negatively. The M.U.S.E. resource “The Changes From DSM-IV to DSM-5” also describes some of these changes. This link is also a good resource: http://www.dsm5.org/Documents/changes%20from%20dsm-iv-tr%20to%20dsm-5.pdf.