Describe at least two ways in which information technology contributes to patient safety and to access to health care.
Using Information Technology to Improve Patient Safety and Quality of Nursing Care
For this Application Assignment, write a 3-4 page paper reflecting on what you have learned about the issues of data quality, patient safety, and access to health care in relation to information technology. Use the headings below for each section. Use a minimum of five references from the professional nursing literature in the assigned course readings and other references. If they are relevant, you may use one or two professional web sites in addition to the literature references.
Begin this paper with a brief paragraph that provides an overview of the assignment and its purpose. There is no separate heading for this paragraph; the heading for this paragraph is the same as the title of the paper. This paragraph will be about 2-3 sentences. The last sentence in this paragraph is a sentence that begins “The purpose of this paper is to ¨. This paragraph is worth 20 points.
- Data accuracy and safety – 60 points
Describe at least two strategies that are used to ensure the accuracy and safety of data entered into information systems used in nursing practice. This section is 2 paragraphs.
- Data integrity – 40 points
Explain the importance of data integrity to healthcare institutions. This section is 1- 2 paragraphs.
- Contributions of information technology – 60 points
Describe at least two ways in which information technology contributes to patient safety and to access to health care. This section is 2 paragraphs.
- Summary – 20 points
End the paper with a one-paragraph summary of the main points of the paper.
Proofread the paper as described in the tips for success in this course and correct any typos, grammar, spelling, punctuation, syntax, or APA format errors before submitting your paper in the Dropbox. Up to 40 points can be deducted from the grade for this assignment for these types of errors, or for not using at least the minimum number of required references.
- Course Text: Hebda, T., & Czar, P. (2013).Handbook of informatics for nurses and healthcare professionals (5th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Prentice Hall.
- Chapter 3, “Ensuring the Quality and Best Use of Information”Chapter 3 discusses the process of collecting, storing, and retrieving data. It also provides strategies and techniques for data verification and data management, as well as the attributes of quality information.
- Chapter 4, “Ensuring the “The Internet and the World Wide Web: An Overview”Chapter 4 discusses basic concepts and applications of the Internet and World Wide Web inclusive of basic search strategies and criteria for evaluating the quality of online information.