In this discussion topic, we will discuss what technical writing is. Please answer the following questions. Feel free to interact with your classmates on their answers as well.
1. From your own experience, please provide a definition of technical writing. You may use the information in Unit 1 of your textbook to help you in constructing your definition if you would like to.
2. Read over pages 129-131 of the article by Kitty Locker, “Will Professional Communication Be the Death of Business Communication?” The article is in the eReserves section of your class. To access the article, please take the following steps:
- click Content
- select Class Resources
- select eReserves
- select the icon for eReserves in the middle of your page.
- in the list of items that appears, locate this article and download it.
How does Locker distinguish technical writing from business writing? Write a couple of sentences or so in your response to this question.
3. Read over pages 325-3236 of the article by Mark Gellis, “Autobiographical Writing in the Technical Writing Course.” The article is also in the eReserves section of your class.
How does Gellis distinguish an essay from a report or a proposal? Write a couple of sentences or so in your response to this question.
4. In your life, have you written any documents that might be labeledtechnical writing? If so, what did you write?
5. In your life, have you had to read or work through a piece of technical writing that you found problematic? If so, what was the document, and why was it problematic to work with?