Create a one-page patient education tool that explains usage of a medication and factors that can affect outcomes.
Create a one-page patient education tool that explains usage of a medication and factors that can affect outcomes. Then, write 2–3 pages in which you explain how the tool promotes patient safety and quality outcomes, and adheres to the principles and practices of cultural competence.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
· Competency 1: Apply practice guidelines and standards of evidence-based practice related to pharmacology for safe and effective nursing practice.
. Explain the appropriate use of a medication.
. Explain how a patient education tool promotes patient safety related to pharmacology.
· Competency 2: Explain the relationship between quality patient outcomes, patient safety, and the appropriate use of pharmacology and psychopharmacology.
. Identify specific factors that may affect the efficacy of a medication.
. Describe possible chemical reactions, side effects, or other negative reactions a patient may experience from a medication.
. Explain correct handling, storage, and disposal of a medication.
· Competency 3: Apply the principles and practices of cultural competence with regard to pharmacological interventions.
. Explain how a patient education tool adheres to the principles and practices of cultural competence.
· Competency 4: Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, and consistent with the expectations of a nursing professional.
. Write content clearly and logically with correct use of grammar, punctuation, and mechanics.
. Correctly format paper, citations, and references using current APA style.
Imagine your supervisor has asked you to develop a patient education tool for new medication starts in your current area of practice. This tool needs to provide important information to the patient, yet be concise enough to require no more than one page.
Review the suggested list of possible topics in Part 1 of the Requirements and then search the Capella library and the Internet for supporting resources. You will need to provide support for the information you choose to include in the patient education tool.
You may format Part 1, the patient education tool, any way you wish, but be sure it is logical and understandable by the typical patient who would use it. Feel free to include pictures or diagrams to reinforce the information.
· Explain how the patient education tool adheres to the principles and practices of cultural competence. In other words, is the tool appropriate for all cultures, genders, ages, et cetera; or could it be easily adapted for specific needs?
Format Part 2 according to APA guidelines. This is not a document you would provide to a patient but, for this assessment, it will provide faculty with the academic and professional principles necessary to evaluate your work.