Purpose of Assignment
The purpose of this assignment is to understand what basic hardware and software components make up a computer. Students will research hardware components, operating system software, and application software to determine how they work together. Students will use a word processing tool to demonstrate how to correctly format a paper in APA style using skills learned in readings and MindTap tutorials.
- Internet search engine such as Google, Yahoo, or Bing
- Hint: Use search words “Decision-making process for computer purchase,” “Consumer buying decision process,” or similar words.
- Microsoft Office 365, Office 2016: Introductory: Module 1: Creating, Formatting, and Editing a Word Document with a Picture
- Microsoft Office 365, Office 2016: Introductory: Module 2: Creating a Research Paper with References and Sources
- MindTap: Week 1 TutorialsCreate a Microsoft® Word document saved under the following format: Lastname_Course#_W1.doc. Research commercially available computer hardware and software applications (e.g., Apple, HP, Dell, Microsoft, Samsung) and how they would fit into a fictional work environment.Develop a 1,050-word summary describing the process of evaluating hardware components and software applications when purchasing a computer:
- What steps are needed to select a computer brand and model?
- What criteria should be applied to making the best software application choices?
- Discuss what hardware components should be considered when deciding what software applications to install.
- Identify key software utilities that allows a user to keep their computer maintained and optimized.
- Include the following in the summary:
- Format paper using APA Guidelines found in the link Writing and Style Guidelines (APA) for 100-299 classes (Attached here)
- Use what you learned in Word Modules 1 & 2 to insert in-text citations and references using APA style.(Read Module 1: Creating, Formatting, and Editing a Word Document with a Picture in Microsoft Office 365, Office 2016: Introductory.) AND (Read Module 2: Creating a Research Paper with References and Sources in Microsoft Office 365, Office 2016: Introductory.)
- Textbook: Shelly Cashman Microsoft Office 365Author: Steven M. Freund ISBN: 9781305893610
- Use the Word Bulleted feature to list basic hardware components and define their function.
- Insert a picture or image of the computer from a company website (e.g., Apple, HP, Dell, Microsoft, Samsung).
- Type the make and model of the computer under the picture and apply Word features to bold and highlight. Format your assignment consistent with APA guidelines for 100-299 classes. References: at least 2 including the textbook
- Textbook: Shelly Cashman Microsoft Office 365Author: Steven M. Freund
- ISBN: 9781305893610
- Note: APA guidelines for 100-299 classes. Is attached below. Please follow this guideline for the assignment.