Assignment 2: LASA: National Culture
The senior management of your company (a small appliance manufacturer) is preparing to open its first product distribution center outside the United States. They desire a location where their fast-paced, flat organizational structure that uses decentralized decision making can thrive. Such an operation relies on workers who are not afraid to make decisions when needed and who can work under minimal supervision. Teamwork is highly valued in the organization.
Senior management is very aware of the need to consider national culture during their deliberations. Additionally, they wish to assess whether theories of motivation known to work in the United States can be applied at the new location.
They have narrowed the list of potential locations to five countries: Norway, Brazil, Portugal, Turkey, and South Korea.
The task of providing input has been given to you. Write a report that does the following:
- Using Geert Hofstede’s five dimensions of national culture, research each potential location and create a table that provides the scores for each dimension for all the potential countries.
- Summarize the differences between the countries for each dimension of national culture.
- Using the described characteristics of the company, determine which cultural dimensions are most important to consider when matching a national culture to the company’s characteristics. Provide a rationale for the choices.
- Provide a final recommendation for which country should be selected. Explain why they were the best choice.
- Provide an overview of goal-setting theory, reinforcement theory, and expectancy theory. Make a judgment regarding whether each will be effective in the selected country’s culture. Provide an explanation.
Your final product should be an 8- to 10-page Microsoft Word document and should use a minimum of 5 scholarly sources. Use the five elements required as section headings. Be sure you write in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrate ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; and display accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
All written assignments and responses should follow APA rules for attributing sources