assessment in which you examine the relationship between behavior and attitude and apply one theory to support your position.
Attitudes help guide behavior, although sometimes people act in ways that contradict their attitudes (Baumeister & Bushman, 2014). Some have said that attitudes are directly related to behavior; others say there is no strong relationship between attitude and behavior. Examining theories of how people develop attitudes and perceptions can lead to heightened self-awareness.
The following optional resources are provided to support you in completing the assessment or to provide a helpful context. For additional resources, refer to the Research Resources and Supplemental Resources in the left navigation menu of your courseroom.
Click the following link to view a video purchased through Films Media Group for use in this Capella course. Any distribution of video content or associated links is prohibited.
- Teenage Girls: Body Image | Transcript
The following e-books or articles from the Capella University Library are linked directly in this course. Note: some of the articles included here are fairly old but are included because they are considered seminal works in the field of social psychology.
To prepare for this assessment, search the Capella library for scholarly research articles on attitude and behavior. Use the articles you locate to support your work.
In your assessment, address the following:
- Explain what is meant by “attitude.”
- How do people develop attitudes? Support your explanation with theory.
- Is there a relationship between behavior and attitude? Apply one theory to support your position.
- It is often said that morality cannot be legislated; yet changes in civil rights laws and policies have been accompanied by changes in attitudes. Since the passage of civil rights laws, the number of white Americans who support integrated schools has steadily risen, while the number of white Americans who describe their neighborhoods, friends, and co-workers as “all white” has steadily decreased. How does theory help explain this?
Your submitted assessment should be 3–4 pages in length excluding title page and reference page. Be sure you support your statements and analyses with references to at least three scholarly research articles and follow APA guidelines for format and style.
- Include a title page and reference page.
- At least three current scholarly or professional resources.
- Times New Roman font, 12 point.
- Double spaced.