BIOL 110 Worksheet 3
1. Describe the structure of a plasma membrane.
2. Define an amphipathic molecule and give an example that occurs is found in the human body.
3. Explain the difference between integral and peripheral proteins.
4. Describe the fluid-mosaic model of a membrane.
5. Identify and discuss the function of proteins located in the plasma membrane.
6. Explain the amphipathic structure of the plasma membrane and how it functions as semipermeable membrane.
7. Explain the meaning of concentration gradient as it pertains to movement of substances into and out of cells.
8. Explain diffusion and osmosis.
9. In theory, water molecules should be expected to diffuse across a plasma membrane, but it happens. Explain why water molecule should have a difficult time in passing through a plasma membrane and why they can.
10. Explain the difference between active and passive transport across the plasma membrane. Provide examples that occur in the human body.
11. Explain the impact to a cell if placed in a hypertonic solution; include a definition of hypertonic solution and why the change occurs.
12. Identify a similarity and difference between facilitated transport and active transport. Do not state that both move substances across the membrane.
13. Explain the sodium-potassium pump and identify the type of membrane protein involved.
14. Identify and explain the process used by cells to secrete substances.
15. Explain the role of plasmodesmata in plant cells.
16. Define energy and identify the two basic forms of energy.
17. Why are processes that involve energy conversion never 100 percent efficient? Identify the appropriate law of thermodynamics in the answer.
18. Define entropy.
19. Define metabolism. Pg103
20. How does the amount of free energy determine whether a reaction is exergonic or endergonic? Include definitions of terms.
21. What are coupled reactions and what roles can ATP serve in these reactions?
22. Why is ATP considered to be the universal energy currency and what can it be used for in cells?
23. Explain the difference between oxidation and reduction reactions.
24. How does the definition of oxidation and reduction apply in covalent reactions?
25. What is energy of activation?
hat factors affect the speed of enzymatic reactions?
27. Define enzymatic inhibition.
28. Explain the difference between the active site of an enzyme and the substrate.
29. Define vitamins and identify their function.
30. What are cofactors and what are their functions?